Thursday 23 January 2014

Stuff what I heard this week

Thursday's an untimely day to be blogging about new releases but I'm procrastinating and I'm not the NME (which is probably a lot more reliable than a blog with a pun for a title). 

Anyway, it's coming to the end of cold and rainy January and here's what's been keeping me sane in terms of the shining and spanking new. I'll keep it very short. 

Warpaint - Warpaint


Warpaint's Theresa Wayman told the Guardian recently: "We leant towards things we thought were sexier," and that's definitely the feeling of this album. Warpaint: still keeping things etherREAL.


James Vincent McMorrow - Post Tropical


JVM's voice manages to blow me away. It's so... slight, and "ever so". I don't know how to explain it. Post Tropical is slightly more soul than the folky vibe of Early in the Morning, reminiscent of the Bon Iver S/T in some parts. I was gutted to find that his gig in Bristol this weekend is sold out otherwise I'd be straight on a train. 


Against Me! - Transgender Dysphoria Blues


Only before Christmas did I actually start listening to Against Me!. Regrettably, I was late to the punk partayyy. Terrifically late. I however might have arrived just in time for the birthday cake. Here's an album speaking out about gender dysphoria, following the coming out of Laura Jane Grace. Actual songs about actual issues concerning those actually singing about it, those dealing with these/similar issues, and for everyone else to take note. "Unconditional Love" is a fave.


You Blew It! - Keep Doing What You're Doing



I thought they might have blew it too, with a band name like that. Bad band names put me off listening straight away, but I gave Keep Doing What You're Doing a go. They are on Topshelf, anyway; and I'll lap up anything Topshelf Recs release like a kitten sipping milk. I'm very very pleasantly surprised with this album and You Blew It! should indeed, keep doing what they're doing (I won't pun anymore).

Other stuff what I listened to this week but it was well old
:

Caspian (EVERYTHING BY CASPIAN)

Run, Forever - Settling (A few crap songs but a few bangers)
Lady Gaga - ARTPOP (for Fashion, Do What U Want and Venus. I love her)
Give Up The Ghost - Background Music (Thank you to a fellow blogowner)
The Place Beyond the Pines OST (Score by Mike Patton)
Wild Nothing (basically everything by Wild Nothing)

Stuff to be anticipated - New releases from:

Bombay Bicycle Club
Mogwai
Caspian (MORE CASPIAN)
St Vincent
Diamond Youth

...and a load more, I'm sure. Have a fun weekend.






No comments:

Post a Comment