Sunday 16 March 2014

Bombay Bicycle Club, Cardiff University Great Hall, Cardiff, 16th March 2014

I know I've just got home from the gig but while it's all so wonderfully fresh in my mind (and I'm full of kebab, not so wonderfully fresh) I'll scrawl everything down now. 

Hello, anyway. It's been a while - since you last read from me I've done a few bits and bobs. I went to see Drenge and that was MEGA cool and I worked a CHVRCHES gig and heard their set from the cloakroom.

Back to tonight. I bought the tickets for my brother's birthday bloody ages ago and only recently had it creeped upon me. At the time of buying the tickets, Bombay weren't my favourite band and my memories of them live hadn't been up to much. I was however, a huuuge fan of their second album, Flaws, and thought it'd be nice to go. I'm so so glad I did. Earlier this month So Long, See You Tomorrow was released and if you haven't given it a little spin already, you bloody should. This latest release is funky as HELL and most of it was showcased tonight in the sweatiest gig I've been to for quite a while. Didn't help that I was wearing a big bloody coat but I'd have been sweatin' anyway. 

In the queue for tonight I was handed a little business card for "tonight's supports GUYYSS", Flyte. With no idea who these guys were, let alone the fact they were supporting, I had no idea what to expect, but for a first support these guys were totally solid. Try to imagine what The Byrds or America would sound like with synths. That doesn't sound all too convincing but I think you'll get what I mean when you listen to them in that their harmonies are clear as day. Clever, too, despite the frontman apparently looking "as if he's off it", according to my brother. Tunes like "Over and Out" were reminiscent of The Drums' beachy vibes whereas "Yellow Rain" was comparable to Bombay's new guitar style on So Long, See You Tomorrow and Everything Everything, electronically. It seemed like these guys are fans of climbing arpeggios and rather traditional note clashes - I'm a big fan. I don't think I'd be mad to propose that these guys could be playing an afternoon slot on the NME stage at Reading in a year or two and it'd be totally cool. 

Now, for some reason, I'd be under the impression for months that The Ramona Flowers were supporting but recently I discovered it'd be Rae Morris. Absolutely no problemo. Rae features on "Luna" from Bombay's new album so it only makes sense (I'm gonna thrust a gorgeous Radio 1 Live Lounge version in your face HERE). By the time Ms Morris had graced the stage, my brother was wankered on cheap Carling and was going "OMG ISIT ROYALS?". Nope, not Lorde, I'm afraid. Better. Vocally, Morris is pure and powerful and yet gorgeously saccharine. Whack this onto sustained pianos, muted drums and slidey distorted guitar and you've got a recipe for completely zoning out and looking a bit weird with your eyes closed - especially for the devastatingly gorgeous "Don't Go". I can't believe I'd dismissed her before as "another girl singer-songwriter". I'm a sexist prat.


Rae Morris doing her thang (thanks to my brother for taking some snaps).

My brother and I were relatively near in time for Bombay, and as you can imagine, close to a load of dickheads in bandanas and shirts with upturned collars who were rather loud. I could dismiss this when there were a load of pretty projected images (think Yellow Submarine meets Bollywood) and a very impressive light show to lead Bombay on to first song (and first on So Long, See You Tomorrow) "Overdone". As I mentioned, the first half of the set focused on the newly released stuff with what felt like a lot more bass (espesh for "Come To") which I'm always a fan of, before pleasing the crowd some oldies but goodies like "Evening Morning" (with its own sexy bass intros). By this time I was a bit worried I'd be missing out on the gorgeous "Home By Now" and "Luna" from the new album but I should have known Bombay wouldn't disappoint. "Home By Now" (despite the absence of the early 00s ambient electric piano throughout which features on the studio version,) was amazing and I think I probably hit some people dancing to that. Soz, everyone. Best song of the evening went to "Whenever, Wherever" (dedicated to Shakira, ofc) which left me really really sweaty. This song just built up until it sort of exploded, fizzed out and revealed RAE MORRIS ONSTAGE FOR "LUNA". Words cannot describe my love for this song. I went a bit too beserk for an indie gig and sang with my eyes closed (I wasn't even drinking). The guys finished with classic "Always Like This" and (the apt) "So Long, See You Tomorrow" before returning for a mainstage-worthy encore. Bloody hell, it was the heaviest I've ever seen a band who've covered the likes of Joanna Newsom in the past. Final song "Carry Me" was explosive and brought the set to a climax right at the end. Just brill. 

"So Long, See You Tomorrow" or at least very soon, Bombay. 


During "Luna" where I went currraazzy.

No comments:

Post a Comment