Thursday 17 April 2014

Brand New, Troxy, London, 12th April 2014

It's been a busy few weeks with uni work and a trip to Rome but here I am with TWO posts for you tonight - aren't you bloody lucky? Perhaps not if you like neither Brand New nor Deaf Havana. 


There'll be a better photo soon, I promise.

The weekend just gone my friend and I took a little trip to London town to see Brand New. I was very fortunate to be seeing them as my initial quest for tickets ended with me waking up two hours after tickets had sold out, thinking I'd booked tickets only to see the final step confirmation page. But fear not, people are good and as I found out, so are Brand New. 

After a rather disappointing journey to London (don't believe the Megabus Gold hype, folks) and a gorgeous bellyful of pulled pork at Bodean's Soho (believe that hype though), I took my first trip on the DLR to a rather dodgy end of London to the Troxy. I say dodgy... I mean that I could smell weed on the walk to the venue. Troxy is far from rough though - seemingly grandiose for an alternative rock show, what with carpeted floors and a plush theatrical circle seating area upstairs, but somehow it seemed fitting for the unassuming and modest performance of Brand New. 

Support for the evening came from The Front Bottoms and Saves the Day. Having listened to both bands before, it's safe to say I was only excited for The Front Bottoms - I'm a big fan of their sarcastic and sometimes bitter lyrics as well as their cute melodies, perfect for a little singalong. I'd recommend you go see them if they're back again soon just to watch the drummer. My favourite song of theirs is "Au Revoir - Adios" which I was glad to hear them play (simple folky punky stuff if you fancy a listen). I just can't get into Saves the Day and neither could I live. Normally I can stand nasal vocals (I listen to pop punk, for Christ's sake) but Saves the Day's could make dogs bark. 

After doing my best not to spill stuff on the carpet and to avoid buying merch I was graced with Brand New's presence. I'd heard good things but nothing could prepare me for such a... familiar(?) performance. It's strange - Brand New have this amazing connection with their fans who are undoubtedly the most loyal I've seen. Guys and gals even in their late twenties were freaking out as classics like "Sic Transit Gloria... Glory Fades" and "The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot" were played. I started freaking out when Jesse started playing a verse of Coldplay's "Yellow", much to the dismay of everyone around me. A couple of songs from 2009's Daisy were played in tandem and for some reason, this is the least favourite Brand New album of many of the people I spoke to that night. I'm not sure why because I find it to be heart-wrenchingly deep and just very bloody heavy. During their few-minute-long interlude in Daisy fashion I found myself swaying with my eyes closed (#emo) and this didn't help me prepare for "Mixtape", a song that makes you bellow "AND THE WAY YOU DON'T APPRECIATE BRAND NEW, OR ME" whilst pointing at either yourself or Brand New (or both). With such a strong setlist ("The Quiet Things...", "Jesus" and "Luca" followed) there was no need for theatrics between songs. Neither was there a need for any sort of bigged up stage presence. Brand New simply needed to play and that would be enough for a crowdful of raised hands, closed eyes and what I assumed would be very sore throats in the morning. Very impressive. I'm pretty jealous of everyone who gets to see them again at Hit the Deck festival again this weekend. Take me with you in your rucksacks. 

My weekend was accompanied by a trip to Five Guys (HEAVEN) and some inevitable record purchases at both Rough Trade West and at All Ages in Camden. Fab time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment