Thursday 17 April 2014

Deaf Havana, Cardiff University Great Hall, Cardiff, 15th April 2014

Now, I'm really really really defensive about Deaf Havana. In more than one previous post I've been like "piss off hardcore people leave them alone" and I'm still like that. Sorry not sorry. 

My friend Yasmin and I have been DH fans for years. Having seen them work their way up to the Reading mainstage I sort of feel protective and proud of their decision to stick to their guns in the new direction of their music during their member reshuffle. Tonight would be a bit emotional, and judging by the bottle of wine and several vodkas we'd shared pre-gig, a bit messy. 

SADLY the queue meant we'd missed by a few minutes first support act and locals The People the Poet, previously Tiger Please. Surely next band The Maine would be soothe the wound, right?!?!?!? Blimey, how... underwhelming. The Maine were a band I loved in 2007, when synths and breakdowns were the thing (thanks, Four Year Strong) and yet the performance was flat, as displayed in a bored looking audience. "We All Roll Along" was a bit more as if we were all plodding along. Soz guys. 

Deaf Havana though. After a couple more drinks, this shouldn't have been the band to see. A band for whom I normally completely lose my mind. Not good. Sorry to all who heard me scream as "Smiles All Round", my favourite Deaf Havana song, and one I thought I'd never hear live again, was played. Despite the fact that this was indeed the Old Souls tour, there was enough Fools and Worthless Liars content to go round, and even a stripped down performance of the beautiful "Nicotine and Alcohol Saved My Life" (remember that?) during the encore. 


Deaf Havana's performance was, above all, fresh. James and the guys like to play around with their musical style, so we were treated to alternate versions of "Fools and Worthless Liars" and "22" as well as anthemic variations on "Hunstanton Pier" and the lovely "Mildred". A highlight for myself was "The World or Nothing". I remember the first time I listened to it, perhaps a few months before the release of Fools and Worthless Liars - knowing that was when I would fall in love with them. Thank God I didn't cry seeing them this time, but I was bloody near it. DH rather unexpectedly finished on devastating Old Souls final track "Caro Padre", as if my heartstrings hadn't already been tugged ferociously by James Veck-Gilodi. Bloody lovely end to a bloody lovely set. 

Post-gig, Yasmin and I had this surreal night out whereby she somehow became acquainted with half the band in Live Lounge, and I wondered why I was alive in Live Lounge. See y'all soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment